Saturday, June 4, 2016

Celebration 11 Alan Watterson

Celebration 11
My high school boyfriend Alan Watterson.

When I think about high school, most of my memories will involve Alan.  We had a relationship that was on and off.  I could write a whole blog about mistakes and what not to do while you are dating, but instead I'm choosing to reflect on the good that he taught me.  He didn't have an easy life.  He worked hard on his grandparents farm, he almost always had a job in high school and even worked through college.  He never expected things to just fall in his lap, he worked hard for the things he wanted.  I always admired that about him.  He was raised by grandparents who loved him and did their best to instill in him to love your family, love the land that you have, love the Lord, and love your country.

Anytime you walked into the house and Rush Limbaugh was on the radio, you better believe Sylvia was sitting in her chair, ice tea on the table, old nasty dog at her feet (his name I have forgotten, but I do remember he didn't smell the best).  You couldn't speak until commercial or he was done with his broadcast.  The table talk around supper was usually about politics or how Alan should be going to church more often.  Once I remember Alan telling me that it would never work out between us.  I didn't vote.  Politics  meant nothing to me.  He reminded me that men died for my freedom and I was just spitting in their faces.  I never forgot that comment and that conviction.  And maybe Rush rubbed off on me too :)

He taught me to vote and to be grateful for my freedom.  In his honor, I'm taking cookies to one of my favorite veterans.  Say it with me..........USA. USA. USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment