Friday, June 3, 2016

Celebration 7 Mrs. Wheatley

Celebration 7
My cheer coach Mrs. Wheatley.

Oh Mrs Wheatley taught me so much.  I probably spent more time with her than my own mother.  Practice never ended.  Cheer leading season never ended.  She was small in statue, but mighty. She expected perfection.  She didn't have much rhythm, but yet she knew if your motions needed to be corrected.  Sometimes she could be harsh.  Sometimes she would leave mid-practice because she was so frustrated.  She was also gentle and understanding when you needed someone to talk to.

We probably would never know how many hours she spent cleaning cheer uniforms, prepping for cheer camp, and the out of pocket money she spent to make sure we always had what was needed.  I have told my daughter several times about Mrs. Wheatley when she starts whining about a coach and their expectations.

Mrs. Wheatley wanted champions and she molded us to become the best.  The countless hours of jumps, jumps, and more jumps.  Legs, arms, butt, stomach, every muscle we used would be sore because she worked us for all that we had.  That work was worth it.  Some of my best memories were the competitions we entered and several that we won.  We were the "team to beat".  She made a name for Mitchell High School and I'm glad I was a part of it.

She taught me hard work.  In her honor, I worked extra hard at my aunts house cleaning out a dirty nasty shed.  It was hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment