Thursday, July 14, 2016

Celebration 28 Jean Sowders

Celebration 28
One of my favorite people Jean Sowders.

While discussing with Mike what I have learned from Jean, he smiled and said just write what she means to you and it will come.  Lily voiced her opinion, that Mama Jean is what a true friend looks like.  Jean has been on my mind most of this week.  She is a brave woman!  For her privacy, I won't go into detail about why she is brave, but I'm praying for her!  


As I've been thinking about her and her friendship, my heart is overjoyed.  As I sit here and type tears fill my eyes for the many blessings I receive from her.   A few weeks ago she posted on Facebook about Pat Summit, a woman she admired and the qualities she wanted to instill in her life.  While I read that post, my first reaction was "Duh, you've accomplished that goal and then some!"   


When I think of Jean, I automatically think of a southern girl.  You know the woman I'm talking about.  It's the image in literature and movies that we secretly wish we had a friend like that in our life.  You know, the friend gracious enough to welcome anyone to sit around their table for a meal.  Jean can't fake her hospitality, kindness, and grace, it's who she is.  It overflows from her and brushes against people and changes them for the better. She is as genuine as they come.


When I think of Jean, I also think of strength, another often-cited attribute of a woman from the South.  The steel magnolias kind of strength.  A friend that would come along side and carry you to the finish line.  A strength that is mentally tough and an attitude that it's not over yet......to keep on fighting.  The kind of strength that comes from within because of will-power and perseverance.

With that strength also comes grace.  She forgives.  She looks for the best in people. She cares for people.  She has told me numerous stories about students that she is mentoring without them knowing.  She invest in their lives, she knows their stories, she looks for opportunities to share light in the darkness.  She is brave and eager to share forgiveness, wisdom, and love to those that are blessed enough to call friend.  I'm thankful for a friend that I know has my back, I'm thankful for a Mama that understands my fears, I'm thankful for a wife that gets my frustration during basketball season, but mostly I'm thankful that the southern girl decided to make Mitchell her home and invited my family over for good food and good conversation.

She taught me hospitality.  In her honor, good friends and good times are in my near future......any maybe good food if I can talk Mike into smoking some meat :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment